SOLVED

Worksheet Protection

Copper Contributor

I have protected and hidden columns at the end of a table in a template I've created. I would like users to be able to copy and paste rows as needed to ensure all formulas are included in the new rows. The first column in the row is also protected. I've unlocked cells where users are expected to enter content. I checked the "insert rows" in the Protect Sheet function. However, I'm still not able to copy and paste (using the insert copied cells function) rows as needed. Does anyone know what else I need to do?

Thanks!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Stacey101 

You won't be able to paste entire rows in a protected sheet if one or more columns are locked. Allowing it would be dangerous because would enable users to overwrite the formulas in the locked columns with formulas of their own.

You might provide a macro that duplicates a row to the row below it, for example. You'd have to unprotect the sheet at the beginning of the macro, and to reprotect it at the end.

Sigh... I figured as much. I really did not want to use macros. Thanks for the very quick response!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Stacey101 

You won't be able to paste entire rows in a protected sheet if one or more columns are locked. Allowing it would be dangerous because would enable users to overwrite the formulas in the locked columns with formulas of their own.

You might provide a macro that duplicates a row to the row below it, for example. You'd have to unprotect the sheet at the beginning of the macro, and to reprotect it at the end.

View solution in original post