Worksheet Cell Doesn't Highlight When Cursor Is In It

Brass Contributor

In Windows 10, latest version, when I'm in a Worksheet moving my Cursor around the Cells here's my problem:

I cannot tell where my Cursor is because the Cell is not highlighted in a light grey like it used to do with Windows 7, for example. That Cell stays 'white' just like all the other Cells in the Worksheet.

So, how do I make the Cell with the Cursor become Highlighted automatically??

15 Replies

@hobbyhorse You can change the type of cursor, cursor size, its color, and it breath to better suit your needs and requirements.

@AshaKantaSharmaI'm having the same problem. It just appeared from out of nowhere. I suspect my worksheet is hung & possibly corrupt. This file is not at all big.

@AshaKantaSharma  The question becomes "HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE CURSOR TO HIGHLIGHT HE CELL IT IS IN?"

The question becomes "HOW DO YOU CHANGE THE CURSOR TO HIGHLIGHT THE CELL IT IS IN?"

@Paul_Mellett 

Thanks, but I know HOW to change the looks of the Cursor--that's not the issue. For example: say you drag your mouse to highlight the word "Cursor" in the above line; it highlights in a certain color, right? What if it did not change color? You couldn't tell if the word had been selected or not. THAT is what's happening in Excel: if I mouse over to say, cell 4D and I get a phone call so I answer it; I come back to Excel when I'm done and can't find where my cursor is because the Cell (4D) is not highlighted. See?

@hobbyhorse 

Same problem, fixed by going to Page Layout, Then clicked on Selection Pane, then clicked on new window on right side where it said Text Box and it showed the cell I was in by highlighting the border in green.  Never noticed it was green until today.

@dyoung305  Yes, f8 eventually gets you back to highlighting the cell(s) you are working with, which I've never used, but just tried, since I had this problem on ONE sheet of a Workbook, after I pasted something to the sheet. But, it would be nice if you would have added a few more words. Still, it's appreciated. :)

Like...

Press f8 (called 'extend selection')

Select a cell (it may not highlight)

Select another cell (this should highlight the range you selected between the two cells)

Now, press Esc to unselect the range

Select the cell you want and you should see that it is now highlighted

This works like a charm, thanks. Someone actually fully answered the question that was asked. Amazing. That deserves a "Like" :)

@kevgor  LOL... that's what 30 years in a technical environment, doing technical writing and troubleshooting of complex medical instruments will get you! Thanks, for the shout out!

@Lonestar_Guy  This didn't work for me. But, closing and opening the file did. @Lonestar Guy, I'm not saying you're answer wasn't good, I just want everyone to see what worked for me.

Yea, no doubt that some things don't work the same for everyone. I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Thank you for this step by step fix. This did exactly what I needed.

@hobbyhorse  I have found that if you right click your mouse button, it brings up a menu and the cell is now highlighted.