Workbooks Need to be locked for editing

Copper Contributor

I have over 500 excel workbooks that we need to lock so that the person receiving them cannot edit them.  Some have multiple sheets.  I cannot imagine having to do this to each individual file.

2 Replies

@JocelynPHenning 

I have over 500 excel workbooks that we need to lock so that the person receiving them cannot edit them. Some have multiple sheets. I cannot imagine having to do this to each individual file.

What I'm having trouble imagining is "Why? What circumstances are involved in needing to send locked Excel workbooks in that quantity?" With the emphasis on "why Excel?"--given that the whole point of Excel unlocked is actively DOING something.

If indeed you're not allowing the person receiving them to DO anything other than read-only, why is Excel the medium? Why not just render them as PDF files (if electronic is somehow necessary) or plain old-fashioned printed reports?

Granted, that still involves doing something yourself (or by some colleague) to render inert what you're sending.....but that appears to be a requirement, so the real question boils down to "what's the most reasonable way to deliver the required result?"

Now, there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I couldn't imagine one--not for that many workbooks. [Well, OK, maybe one: a legal proceeding where these workbooks have been part of a discovery order; maybe then.....]

@mathetes exactly :)  yes it's annoying but in our field it is needed.