Wordpad docs embedded in Excel worksheet - limitations? Stability?

Copper Contributor

Hi!  First time poster here.  

I maintain a Table (in a worksheet) that contains embedded Wordpad documents, into which I enter notes related to the particular issue (i.e. row) that contains it.  It's better than trying to keep a running list of comments and notes directly within a cell, as I'm working an actual text editor. The icons representing each Wordpad doc are stuck to the cell they're in, so I can sort and filter the Table at will, and the Wordpad documents travel with the rest of the data.   

Each Wordpad document is treated as an Object, and so far I have several hundred embedded in the worksheet.  But, I'm afraid that I'm doing something a bit out of the ordinary here, and I'm concerned about the file remaining stable.  It does have a few quirks, e.g. it will open as soon as I hover my cursor over the icon in File Explorer, and it will often open "Copy of" and "Copy of Copy of" instances if the cursor is left there.

Does anyone know if there's a limit on the number of embedded Wordpad documents (or other Objects) one can have in a worksheet?    Anyone know of any other reason why this may be an unorthodox or otherwise risky practice?  

Any feedback will be appreciated.

-MC

0 Replies