Windows automatic reboot ruined my excel hyperlinks!

Copper Contributor

It is absolutely appalling that Microsoft has decided that they will reboot your PC whenever they want to WITHOUT your consent.   I am so afraid of this that when I do get a notice about an impending update/reboot, I close all my files and reboot immediately.  Why?   Because I have to either spend a substantial amount of time recovering files or,  IT RUINS my master spreadsheet!   This last time it changed 700 hyperlinks!   I have been on the phone with Microsoft "tech support" for hours and they do not know what to do in order to get the links to point to the folder they are supposed to other than.........fix each of them MANUALLY!  It seems there is a central location with the hyperlink source folder because I can take a backup copy of the master spreadsheet with the CORRECT links and then place it on my laptop, open it only to discover all of them have been changed!!   PLEASE HELP!  This is making me so frustrated!

4 Replies

@shihon 

The bad news is you will have to recreate those links.

You can prevent this from happening by clearing this setting:

Patrick2788_0-1582211857850.png

@Patrick2788   Thank You,   I changed that setting.    Microsoft tech support once figured out how to fix it.    It seems there is a central location (some file in the system folder) where the information is stored.   I proved this by placing a backup copy from carbonite of the master spreadsheet on the desktop.   The backup copy had the correct hyperlink source while on the carbonite server.   The minute I put it on the desktop and opened it,  the hyperlink source changed.

@shihon 

Excel has been squishy with network/internet links to files for years.  It seems to be OK with hyperlinks to folders but direct links to files have always been unreliable it seems.

@Patrick2788  Yes it certainly is.   However, about a year ago a microsoft tech figured out how to fix it.  There seems to be a central location where the source folder info is stored.   I do not know if it is in the registry or in the system folder.    This is all because Microsoft has the audacity to reboot my PC whenever they feel like it!  They cause so much pain and then tell me that I need to pay for tech support!  The so called "tech" today told me that Microsoft does not have the ability to reboot your PC without consent....>WRONG.    He also told me that Office 2010 is no longer supported.....WRONG!   I have a banner right in my face on my excel spreadsheet saying that support ends 10/23/2020!