Why does a cell have my Initials in a circle next to it? And how do I remove it?

Copper Contributor

I'm in a worksheet and one of the cells have a blue outline around it with a blue circle next to it with my initials inside it. I do not know what I did to get it there and can't find how to remove it or what it means.  Any help?

4 Replies

@judy1958 

Most probably that means you have file opened in two apps, e.g. in Excel Desktop and in Excel for web. Assuming that file is stored on OneDrive or SharePoint.

@Sergei Baklan I am having the same issue, and I have an assignment due in a little over an hour. I don't have it open anywhere else, and I can't get rid of it either. If I send it to my professor, she will see it and also wonder what its for. I have no idea how it got there, but there is apparently no notes or comments to delete so I have no other way to remove it before sending it to her. Looks like I'll have to add a note and hope I don't end up with part marks because I save my assignments to my personal OneDrive and not my College one that has my proper initials and name connected to it. 

@HarleyQuinn420 

If you download the file and copy it into local folder, i.e. C:\, do you still have that box?

Sergei is exactly correct. I had the same thing. I have the file stored on OneDrive and had it open on 2 devices. I closed the file on one device and the blue cell outline and circle with my initials went away.