Why do box/whisker graphs freeze when pasting from Excel workbook to PPT?

Copper Contributor

Hey all,

I work in IT but my organization has quite a lot of Excel power users. I have a user who has been having issues when copy/pasting certain box graphs from an Excel workbook to Powerpoint. 

He is using an Excel workbook that has a bunch of raw numbered data.

He is generating the graphs based on that data on the same sheet as the data.

He needs to present this data - so after he generates the graphs, he copies and pastes them (with formatting) into Powerpoint. After, when he tries to edit the graph in any way (resize, change values, etc) besides just moving the graph around, it will freeze powerpoint to the point where he either needs to kill it in task manager or wait about 5 minutes for Powerpoint to unfreeze, catch up with the changes and allow him to resume work.

This does not happen with all graphs - it does not happen with all his box graphs.

I've already suggested he generates all graphs on a sheet separate from the workbook, OR doing all graph manipulation in Excel before pasting it into PPT - but he isn't satisfied with this as a workaround since he claims he's been working this way between excel/ppt for awhile and this freezing incident only started happening recently. 

Any advice as to why this happens and how I can present it in a way where he isn't going to feel like I'm forcing him to completely change his workflow?

0 Replies