Which feature should I use for a sum of taxes collected for each city by name?

Brass Contributor

Hi all,

Your help is always appreciated, greatly.  I would like to add the sum of taxes collected for each city on a spreadsheet ... I have no idea of how to go about that.  Here is a pic of my current spreadsheet:

johnsboxftm_0-1678718608711.png

What I want to do is get a sum for all the taxes collected for each city

Like this, perhaps?

johnsboxftm_1-1678720205175.png

I'm not sure how to write the formula.  Please help.  And thank you in advance.

6 Replies

@johnsboxftm 

In B30:

=SUMIF($B$2:$B$26, A30, $G$2:$G$26)

Fill down.

Alternatively, create a pivot table based on the data, and add the City field to the Rows area and the Tax field to the Values area.

I do have a table created with all the cities I have tax rates for ... I was hoping to have the formula automatically pull from that table's list of cities, then look at which of those cities I have on this particular sheet and then give me a grand total of $ in taxes

@johnsboxftm 

A pivot table based on the data range in your first screenshot will automatically list only the cities that are present in that range.

@Hans Vogelaar 

I apologize, but I am not comprehending.  

If I could pull from this list:

johnsboxftm_0-1678723052309.png

Any of these cities that appear in this column:

johnsboxftm_1-1678723124669.png

Have each city by name appear in A30 and so on (where if there are 11 Clevelands it just says Cleveland) and in Box B30 be the total for those Clevelands taken from G3 and down

johnsboxftm_2-1678723398254.png

@johnsboxftm 

Select B2:H26 on the February 2023 sheet.

On the Insert tab of the ribbon, click PivotTable.

Select 'Existing Worksheet'.

Click in the Location box.

Click in cell A29, then click OK.

Excel should display the PivotTable Fields task pane.

Drag City to the Rows area.

Drag Tax to the Values area.

If you're looking to sum taxes collected for each city by name, try using the SUMIF function in Excel. This function allows you to specify a range of cells to sum based on certain criteria, like the city name. However, if you're having trouble getting the data you need, consider using PayStubCreator. This website can help you generate accurate pay stubs that include information on taxes collected, making it easier to track your earnings and expenses.