Where To Start

Iron Contributor

Hello,

I want to start working on a file with very specific needs. I don't need you to guide me through every step. I just want some assistance regarding which functions to use so I can tinker with them my self. I'm familiar with VBA and many Excel functions.

So here it goes:

The file will assign Lunch times for 3 different shifts for specific intervals and for each interval there will be a maximum number requirement. So, if the maximum number is achieved, proceed to next interval. On top of that, it will need to base the preferences of employees all of which will be hard-coded in a sheet. Employee names will be entered in a table for that specific shift.

To dive further into it;

We have 3 different shifts: morning, mid and night.

For morning

let's say lunch hours start at 11:00 and the hard-coded number for that interval will be 3 employees and for argument's sake Employee 1 and 2 prefer to take their lunch at that interval whereas employee 3 and 4 prefer 15:00 which again will be hard-coded.

Also, if the employee has no preference, we will just need to avoid assigning them to the same interval as yesterday which will still be present in the sheet.

I hope I'm clear enough.

If you could point me towards where to start, I'd be really grateful.

Kind regards.

1 Reply

@kheldar 

I don't know in advance whether I can help you, but I know that it is very difficult for you to get feedback with this approach.

With your permission, if I can recommend you, please always add specific information about your Excel version and operating system to your concerns.

As well as, if possible or necessary (sure in your case), a file (without sensitive data).

Information on where the file is, such as OneDrive or SharePoint, is of advantage.

In this way, you will come up with a proposed solution much faster and more precisely.

This also makes it much easier for the helpers to provide the help that they would like to offer you.

It helps both :).

Here is a link with information on how you can quickly find a solution that is most suitable for you.

Welcome to your Excel discussion space!

Thank you for your understanding and patience

NikolinoDE

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)