Where do I save my Macro?

Copper Contributor

I need to create a Macro in Excel (version 2111) (Dell Computer) and I never can get mine to work/be available when I open "other" excel files.  I guess I need to know "where do I save my macro" so that its part of my toolbar and/or always available to me to use when needed.  Every month I need to download a file to excel and then manipulate/format the content for various downloads.  I want to be able to download that data each month (various files) to excel then have my Macro "ready to use" for each of those excel files as I work on them.  So where do I save the Marco when I'm first creating it?  The choices I get are either:   "This Workbook", "New Workbook" or "Personal Workbook".  Any help is appreciated.  I'm not an expert at excel by any means, I would say I'm more at an intermediate level.  Thank you!

2 Replies

@Patty1228 

If you want your macro to be available in ALL workbooks, choose Personal Macro Workbook.

When you quit Excel, it will ask you whether you want to save changes to your Personal Macro Workbook. Answer Yes, otherwise your macro will be lost!

@Hans Vogelaar Thank you!  I will give that a try!