SOLVED

When I paste a long number, Excel turns it into scientific notation and changes numbers.

Copper Contributor

Here's an example.  I have a long number (it's from a license plate/bar code):

Whether I use my bar code software's export-excel function, or PASTE the number directly, here is what I get: 

1.00018E+17

If I then format the cell as a number, I get: 

As you can see, I have lost the '0862' at the end of my number.  Any ideas?

28 Replies
On Mac - You can simply select a "special paste" by holding CTRL + CMD + V and choose "Text". This retains the long number form of the number.

I'm not sure what the hotkeys are for Windows, but essentially select the option for special paste (sometimes found in the top Edit menu next to File).
Excel Windows; Paste Special = Ctrl+alt+V

@Keith Kargl 

Create a new column and format as a text: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/office/text-function-20d5ac4d-7b94-49fd-bb38-93d29371225c#:~:tex...)

Ex. If your values are in column L, row 27 then create a new column next to it (column M). And type the following: =TEXT(L27, ##########) and hit Enter. 

Note: enter as many hashtags as you need to show all your digits

Select the column or row where you will paste the numbers then make the format TEXT. Paste the number and you will get your desired result.

@simongoh 

Bdath_0-1701266777232.png

I tried this, but excel is still not pasting the last 2 digits correctly.  any suggestions?

@Bdath 

In modern Excel we have an option to disable such behaviour

image.png

If copy/paste the value from initial post it returns as

image.png

thanks for showing me this. It looks like I have a 'restricted version' or a totally different version of Excel. I don't have the automatic data conversion options. I'll see if someone in our IT department can help me with this.

@Bdath 

It shall be on Office 365 subscription at least on Current channel, perhaps on Monthly Enterprise. If you are on semi-annual channel, or not on 365, afraid that functionality is not available.