What kinds of data or formulas will cause a sheet to crash?

Copper Contributor

Hello!  I have a working spreadsheet I use for my job that is shared in a dropbox.  Its a pretty simple, straightforward spreadsheet.  Its a list of our client's contact info, with a few extra features and multiple tabs.  Yesterday, the thing crashed and became corrupted.  I was able to reboot an old version with help from microsoft support, but she could not tell me what caused it to crash in the first place.  She said there were some types of data that couldn't be supported with a file shared online.  I was opening the sheet to a blank excel page, from both the online account (dropbox) and from my computer file explorer.  To be clear, I edit the file offline and save to our dropbox.  Some snippets from our conversation:

"Emily, there are some data added which are not supported by Excel that is the reason it does not open online as well...

There few features that are supported by certain applications and the data included in that document is not supported by Excel both offline and online...
 I am not trained on data types, it is out of my support boundary so I would not be able to check for the data type information however we have our experts from Excel Community who would be able to assist you."

We've been using this sheet in this way for a couple of years and I wasn't doing anything particularly out of the ordinary when it crashed and got corrupted.  Does anyone know what could have caused this?  and how to avoid it in the future? 

Thanks!
-Emily
0 Replies