what is the best option

Copper Contributor

Hi guys

I have an Spreadsheet. there is one column in the spreadsheet that have about 200 row each containing and unique number. i need to match this number to another workbook with 12 sheet, each sheet containing column a that will contain some of the unique number that is found in the original spreadsheet. 

if i was looking for the number in the workbook with 12 sheet, if would just do a find and choose the entire workbook and press find all. How exactly can i do it across workbook where ne of the workbook also contain 12 sheet where the information can come from.

option regarding formulas or VBA will be helpful as i have to run this search one every month

thanks for your thoughts

2 Replies
Forgot to mention - Currently i can get what i need by running a nested IFERROR formula with an IF formula 12 times for it to look into every sheet. but that seems such a long process -

surely there must be something easier out there

@eoliams 

Here's a thought regarding another option--if you're willing to consider it (and able to do it): convert those 12 sheets into a single sheet.

Assuming they're all something like--my guess--monthly data concerning something (sales, production runs, etc).....there is little reason why they need to be separate sheets; just add a column that represents the month. That kind of reorganization/consolidation of the database makes it far more amenable to the Excel functions that can lookup or retrieve information from a database. We often, as humans, think separating the data into monthly (or regional, or whatever) sub-sheets is useful; but actually it interferes with exactly the kind of thing you appear to be wanting to do.

So is that a possibility?