what happened to "value from cells"?

Copper Contributor

In a chart: Data labels, more options, format data labels, label options, label contains value from cells

Usually it the option is there, today, sometimes/mostly, it is not. These are x-y scatter graphs. Once I thought it came back after pressing 'f' which is the shortcut key, but if it worked, it only worked once.

11 Replies

@John Schindler 

With your permission, if I can recommend you (even if i am probably not the right one to suggest a solution to your problem), add a file (without sensitive data) to your project.

Explain your plans/problem in relation to this file. So you can get a solution that is tailored to your needs much faster.

At the same time, it is much easier for someone who wants to help to understand the subject.

A win-win situation for everyone.

Please no Picture, even if it is said that a picture can say a thousand words, it is certainly not in the case of Excel, on the contrary in some cases.

* Knowing the Excel version and operating system would also be an advantage.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

@NikolinoDE 

Hi, actually pictures are the VERY best way to convey the situation but I haven't been able to get a picture of the way it used to work.

Are you familiar with labeling data points in Excel charts? For years, there was a macro available to label points with cell contents, just like Quatro over 20 years ago. Then Microsoft built it into Excel and it has worked well for at least a couple of years.

@John Schindler

With your permission, sir, I know that I know nothing.
Just wanted to point out that you will get an answer faster with an inserted file (without sensitive data). In your case the Excel version and / or the operating system would be advantageous.
Because if you use Excel for Web, for example, some commands are not available.

However, it was a suggestion, if it doesn't help, please ignore it.

Thank you very much for your time and patience and I wish you every success in your project.

Nikolino

@NikolinoDE 

I'm glad my message is being seen. The next time I see Excel working the way I wish it would, I will save the file and upload it.

John

@John Schindler 

In order not to be misunderstood, I am not from microsoft and am not paid by microsoft either.

Just like that, I don't pay anything to microsoft that I can use the forum here and the whole database of information that is available.

I am not paid for any help I offer. as well as not paying for any help I get or got in this forum.
Everything is on a voluntary basis (at least as far as my person is concerned),

help to be helped whenever I can or I need it.

I am sorry that you could not be helped in the way you wished.

But please keep in mind that you can only help a user insofar as he is willing to be helped.

However, I wish you every success and success in your project.

Thank you for your understanding and patience

Nikolino

@John Schindler

image.png I this (enclosed picture) what we are discussing?

@Peter Bartholomew 

Yes, that option is what I used to see, but lately it is not available. I have tried with very simple data but I haven't seen the option lately. 

Perhaps there are some unspoken rules about when it will work.

@John Schindler I created the image using MS 365 Excel Insider.  AFAIK, the option shows when you seek to format existing data labels.

@Peter Bartholomew 

HI, as you can see the option to select cells is missing. 

encinasl_0-1678299232098.png

Hi Peter, also missing for me. I'm on MS365 Excel. encinasl is right it's missing. This is a major bug.
Make sure you're not working in compatibility mode. If so, File | Info | Convert to convert to XLSX.