What formula do I use?

Copper Contributor

Can someone please help?  I'm new to formulas but have a basic understanding of excel.  I have this worksheet in excel 10 and I've copied and pasted values into one worksheet and the data is representing 2 sets of info and I need to (search, find and match)  accts in one database and if those accts are found then tell me if they are reconciling items which is listed in a separate column.  Currently my worksheet with columns look like this: I need a formula to pull into col. D and E with 2 separate findings!

A-acct number (database 1)

B-GL

C-Port code

D-where I want my return values to end up

E-where I want my return values to end up for part 2 (is it a reconciling item)?

F-acct numbers (database 2)

G-Y or N  directly related to acct # in F.  Y or N tells me if this acct is a recon item

So columns A-C are pasted items from values I collected from one database and columns F-G items from a separate database and D/E are where I want final results of my formula to appear.

I need to take column A data which is acct numbers and see if they exist in column F and then find the match.  If theres a match then I want the acct # to appear in col. D,  If not, then do nothing or leave blank.  (step 2)  if that acct number was found in col. F then  look to column G and place the value of G into column E.  The end result being, Do the acct numbers in col A exist in the second database (column F) and if they do then  then tell me if this acct is a reconciling item by putting a Y or N (info located in col. G).  Someone please help me simplify this!!  Thank you!

Maddy

2 Replies

Hi @maddy4444 

Your requirement seems simple, you can achieve it by using vlookup() function. You even do not need  to paste all data in one sheet, in excel you can easily apply formulas in multiple sheets / workbooks. 

I have attached a sample file for your reference.

Thanks

Tauqeer

Please simplify your requirement by attaching your sample file.