Vlookup vs ?

Copper Contributor

The state regulated metrc inventory system has a different naming convention than our inventory catalogue and I am having trouble using a vlookup formula to try to match the two. Should I be using a different formula? Example below...

Catalogue Name

AVO/18 - Double Tangie Banana quarter

METRC Naming Convention

AVO/3833 - Double Tangie Banana - A Bud - 18

5 Replies

@MMarglin 

Hi

How do you want the function (any function) or Tool (like Power Query) to identify that these 2 products are the same to match them? is it by the left 3 characters? is it by the sting following the dash?

If there is no pattern whatsoever, then only YOU know the matches.

If there is any identifiable pattern then combining the VLOOKUP with a Left or MID Or TRIM functions may help... or even with Wild Cards (*  ?)

So, what's the pattern?

Thanks

Nabil Mourad

@nabilmourad 

Hi Nabil,

The 3 characters in the beginning are the brand. The sting following the dash is the strain name. The problem I will run into is that multiple brands could have the same strain name. For example AVO -Double Tangie Banana is one product name, but we could also have Sunshine - Double Tangie Banana. Can the vlookup have both a left, mid, or trim funtion? Would I need to group the brands together first then do a vlookup to match the strain names within the brands?

Thanks,

Matt

@MMarglin 

Hi

Do you consider the 2 products you mentioned as the same product (based upon the right side of the dash)? or in other term, which part of the name when present in both lists makes it the same product?

Thanks

I beg your indulgence to provide a sample file with manually entered results and explanation of the logic of each. In doing so, you will be able to satisfy the inquisitive minds of those who may probably furnish you with a desirable answer.

@nabilmourad 

They are 2 separate products because from different vendors/brand.