SOLVED

VLookup to ignore values with blank cells

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to make Vlookup ignore lookup values with adjacent blank cells? Here's the problem:

Screenshot (8).png

VLookup returns data from a named range to the bottom list of teams. But I only need the data from the teams in the top table that have scores next to them, ignoring the teams that don't have scores in adjacent cells. How do I do that? Is there an IFNumber function I can put into VLookup to just return data from named range with the teams that have scores? Thanks in advance.

9 Replies
Can you please add some file containing the sample data instead just the image?
It will help us to assist you.

@Juliano-Petrukio 

I would like VLookup only to return data from named range from teams with scores in adjacent cells and to ignore teams with blank cells or no scores in above range.

@Mr_McSquirrelly 

I haven't touched VLOOKUP for years but turning the team names without an associated score to FALSE would prevent the lookup returning data for it, e.g.

= VLOOKUP(lookupVal, IF(ISNUMBER(scores),table), 2, 0)

best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Mr_McSquirrelly 

Considering you are on cell B94 (Charlotte Hornets)

Try instead ISBLANK() formula confirm like below.

=IF(B2="","",VLOOKUP(A94,TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON,2,FALSE))

Ps.: As I'm not sure about the data of the named range TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON, I considered the 2nd column as the OFF values.

@Mr_McSquirrelly 

I figured it out:

Yea_So_0-1635642025531.png

you can use the formula in the image using filter but not be able to use the named range or you can use:

=VLOOKUP(A96,TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON,6,0)

=VLOOKUP(A96,TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON,7,0)

=VLOOKUP(D96,TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON,8,0)

=VLOOKUP(D96,TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON,9,0)

respectively in that order from left to right see image below:

Yea_So_1-1635642928302.png

File attached below

@Juliano-Petrukio That is the solution I was looking for! I could not find the email I used for my original account, so I started a new account. Many, many thanks Juliano-Petrukio!

@Yea_So  Thank you for your work on this, Yea_So. You have been incredibly helpful. @Juliano-Petrukio solved the problem and just made my sheet work perfectly.

Very good to hear that.
If it worked fine, flag it as solved.

@Juliano-Petrukio Here is the solution to the problem I was looking for. Thanks again!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Mr_McSquirrelly 

Considering you are on cell B94 (Charlotte Hornets)

Try instead ISBLANK() formula confirm like below.

=IF(B2="","",VLOOKUP(A94,TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON,2,FALSE))

Ps.: As I'm not sure about the data of the named range TEAMPOWER_AVGSEASON, I considered the 2nd column as the OFF values.

View solution in original post