VLOOKUP returning wrong values when linked to external sources

Copper Contributor

I have been having issues with VLOOKUP returning the wrong values from an external linked workbook that is saved to Box.com.  Just a little more information: I maintain a large Excel workbook that contains all of our product data such as descriptions, UPC's, min. order qty, etc.  This file is located on our file sharing platform Box.com (which is also available on our computers drive).  I then will write formulas in templates that when an item number is entered into column A, the rest of the information needed (description, UPC, min. order qty, etc.) will populate in the columns B - Z.  Here is an example of the formula I use: =VLOOKUP($B9,[DMASTER]DMASTER!$B:Z,7,FALSE)  Everything works great when I test it out...however, when co-workers (we all work from home and are scattered around the US) open the template and enter an item number, the information returned is incorrect.  How can I fix this?!  It has become an issue that I have to revisit on a daily basis and is driving me crazy!  Please someone help me! 

4 Replies
What outcome do they get?

It's really weird.  It returns the wrong values but from the correct column (if that makes sense).  For example:  I have the formula written to look for value: PW 123L and return the 2nd column value which should be 123-L but it will return a value of 123-M.  The source workbook data is all correct as I've proofed every row and column value.  In order to correct it all I have to do is click in the formula bar and hit enter and it almost "refreshes" it and returns the correct value.  The only problem with that is these templates I've created are for co-workers to use and these co-workers do not have the level of understanding of Excel that I have so every time they try to use the template they have to contact me to "refresh" the formula in order for the correct data to populate.@Jan Karel Pieterse 

@Morgan_H1927 

=VLOOKUP($B9,[DMASTER]DMASTER!$B:Z,7,FALSE)

I recommend making this a specific range rather than referring to the entire columns.  It will use less resources and help the link update faster.

@Morgan_H1927 Sounds like calculation is set to manual?