SOLVED

Vlookup N/A error

Copper Contributor

I have 3 sheets of data in one workbook. Participant number and then different varriables in each sheet. 

I have used the Vlookup function to get all the data into one sheet. 

This has worked for some participants, but not the majority. 

For some participants: When I copy and paste a participant number from one sheet into the 'find function of another sheet, it is able to find the participant number and then when I go back to the original sheet - the VLookup formula has generated the data. 

Others, I am able to find the matching participant in the other sheet, but it does not help generate the VLOOKUP. 

I have redone one participant and I managed to get one varriable to work but not another! I can't see any difference in my formula! So completely stuck!

Does anyone have any idea of where I have gone wrong? 

Formula that works: 

=VLOOKUP($A2,'A&D Form'!$A$1:$R$2977,2,FALSE)

And for the same participant one that doesn't:

=VLOOKUP($A3,'A&D Form'!$A$1:$R$2977,3,FALSE)

Please help!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by emmajames22 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@emmajames22 

Does it work if you change the 2nd formula to:

=VLOOKUP($A2,'A&D Form'!$A$1:$R$2977,3,FALSE)

My assumption is that $A2 and $A3 are different entries. Maybe in $A2 you have "participantE" and in $A3 "participantE " with a space at the end.

=VLOOKUP(A3,$E$3:$G$15,2,FALSE)

vlookup.JPG 

@OliverScheurich thank you so much for your reply! I have worked out thr problem!

It wasn't spaces at the end but I noticed the green triangles in the corner of some of the data - even though I set the whole column to the same type of data (number and I tried general). I managed to select all and resolve the error and it fixed the VLOOKUP. A silly mistake, but still learning! 

emmajames22_1-1660337813605.png

Thank you! :)

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by emmajames22 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@emmajames22 

Does it work if you change the 2nd formula to:

=VLOOKUP($A2,'A&D Form'!$A$1:$R$2977,3,FALSE)

My assumption is that $A2 and $A3 are different entries. Maybe in $A2 you have "participantE" and in $A3 "participantE " with a space at the end.

=VLOOKUP(A3,$E$3:$G$15,2,FALSE)

vlookup.JPG 

View solution in original post