SOLVED

VLOOKUP and INDIRECT Formula assistance needed

Brass Contributor

I have TWO issues.

#1 For some reason My VLOOKUP and INDIRECT combination formula for the chart is not retrieving the data and rather just the IFERROR. I converted all the numbers correctly, at least I believe I did.

clipboard_image_2.png

#2 I have a dropdown selection titled "ALL" which I want to retrieve the SUM'd up information across all three tabs when selected. Is this possible? 

clipboard_image_3.png

What in SAM HILL TANRANTION is going on?!?!

11 Replies

@shade206 

1) Use lookup column as left most, other words

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP($E10,INDIRECT("'"&$D$6&"'!$B$1:$f$11"),2,FALSE),"Day Not Worked")

2) It's possible but the question is do you have always these 3 sheets or they could be changed. The idea for ALL is here https://exceljet.net/formula/3d-sumif-for-multiple-worksheets. Not exactly your case, just direction.

Thank you for correcting my silly mistake on the VLOOKUP, i knew that! Haha...

The REAL question than is how do i associate that Ability for the "ALL" in my drop down list, i saw your link and understand the formula but could you walk me through it a little more? Think, "Excel Formulas for Dummies" :) 

I'm not sure how i'd keep it in that same drop down list... I'm providing the updated sample worksheet.

@Sergei Baklan 

best response confirmed by shade206 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@shade206 

First, name list of the sheets as sheets (or whatever name your prefer)

image.png

Second, correct column number in your latest version of VLOOKUP(), it shall be on one more in each formula.

Third, make branches for the selection from drop-down list, one for ALL and another one for any other name

IF($D$6="All",<sum on all sheets>, VLOOKUP as before)

Next, adjust for your ranges formula from the link and combine all together. In F10 it'll be

=IFERROR(
   IF($D$6="All",
      SUMPRODUCT(
         SUMIF(
            INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"$B$2:$B$10"),
            $E10,
            INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"$C$2:$C$10")
         )
      ),
      VLOOKUP(
         $E10,
         INDIRECT("'"&$D$6&"'!$B$1:$f$11"),2,FALSE
      )
   ),
   "Day Not Worked"
)

similar for next columns and drag first row to the bottom.

Additionally, I'd suggest to take day of the week from the date to avoid extra errors

image.png 

I walked through all your steps from scratch and did them all on my own to ensure I understood. However, i'm stuck on one thing, i cannot get my versions "ALL" to work. ... a little help? I've attached it. @Sergei Baklan 

@shade206 

Since you renamed sheets on List you shall update formulas accordingly. Other words all parts where sheets appears like

...INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"$B$2:$B$10")...

shall be changed on

INDIRECT("'"&List&"'!"&"$B$2:$B$10")

Nice! So that worked for the Sample I created and we worked through. However, my actual document which i'm providing an abbreviated version of is not remedying with those same fixes. Can you take a look? @Sergei Baklan 

@shade206 

Hi,

3 points

1) Named range Sheets shall not include ALL, it is A6:A8

2) Data validation list shall include All, thus it'll be not Sheets but A6:A9

3) In the formula you have misprint, it's in red:

=IFERROR(IF($C$3="ALL",SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!"&"$A$23:$A$350"),$D7,INDIRECT("'"&Sheets&"'!"&"$H$23:$H:$350"))),VLOOKUP($D7,INDIRECT("'"&$C$3&"'!$A$23:$N$350"),14,FALSE)),"Day Not Worked")

All above is corrected in attached file, please check attached.

In email I've seen your post which was removed - yes, the performance is an issue with INDIRECT() and especially with combination SUMPRODUCT(). If that becomes critical the approach is to be revised - another data structuring, perhaps Power Query or VBA. I have no concrete suggestions right now, but I don't think the performance could be significantly improved with formulas only.

Fantastic! That fixed the minor errors so now it is pulling data. However, I checked the data your version is pulling, and it is not correct in that all columns are pulling the same number so something might be wrong with the formula?... i.e. Outbound, Inbound are pulling the same numbers. @Sergei Baklan 

@shade206 

Sorry, I didn't check the rest of formulas. In second INDIRECT() ranges shall be adjusted to proper columns.

One more point. If calculate Total as Inbound+Outbound it will be different from the value if sum directly. I guess that's due to rounding of source data. You may check sums at the bottom of Jannifer sheet and column V in Dashboard.

Thank you so much!!! @Sergei Baklan 

@shade206 , you are welcome

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by shade206 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@shade206 

First, name list of the sheets as sheets (or whatever name your prefer)

image.png

Second, correct column number in your latest version of VLOOKUP(), it shall be on one more in each formula.

Third, make branches for the selection from drop-down list, one for ALL and another one for any other name

IF($D$6="All",<sum on all sheets>, VLOOKUP as before)

Next, adjust for your ranges formula from the link and combine all together. In F10 it'll be

=IFERROR(
   IF($D$6="All",
      SUMPRODUCT(
         SUMIF(
            INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"$B$2:$B$10"),
            $E10,
            INDIRECT("'"&sheets&"'!"&"$C$2:$C$10")
         )
      ),
      VLOOKUP(
         $E10,
         INDIRECT("'"&$D$6&"'!$B$1:$f$11"),2,FALSE
      )
   ),
   "Day Not Worked"
)

similar for next columns and drag first row to the bottom.

Additionally, I'd suggest to take day of the week from the date to avoid extra errors

image.png 

View solution in original post