Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the fi

Copper Contributor

Excel cannot open the file 'filename.xlsx' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.

This is the message I get.

Using Microsoft Excel for Mac Version 16.57 Office Home and Student 2021

I can't open any files from the File --> Open --> Recent or I get the error mentioned above.

However, I CAN go into Finder and select the file and it opens just fine.

Any suggestions on how I can use the File Open method instead of having to use Finder every time I want to open an excel file?

5 Replies

@linettemmoore 

When you get the error, does it let you click to continue on, and open the file anyway? I get this alert also, but I am able to click past it and then I do a save as. Then I noticed the file type that Excel thinks it is.....mine is a .html file type originally, so I change the file type to .xlxs and I am good to go.

@DigitalData Thank you ~ I cannot click and continue on.  I have to go into finder and click to the file location from there, then I can open it.

Have you figured this out? If not do a repair on your Office install, or uninstall and reinstall.
I hope you have this fixed by now but if not, let us know if this works.