VBA To Highlight Rows

Copper Contributor

Hi 

We have a piece of software that outputs an Excel file once a week, this file has to be organised and edited to show specific information, which is quite a tedious task!
I am trying to produce a macro that will do everything for me, and have almost got everything figured out except the last little bit.

I need it to highlight all rows that have a date before today in column E
This bit of code i have been trying sort of works:

Dim TDateM As String
  TDateM = Date

endrow = Range("E" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

For Each cell In Range("E2:E" & endrow)
  If cell.Value < TDateM Then
     cell.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 6
  End If
Next

It has two small problems though, firstly it only highlights the rows prior to today for this month, anything last month or previous it doesn't seem to work for. This is a bit odd and i don't really understand why it would do this.
Secondly, it highlights the row of the whole workbook, i really want it to only highlight the row in the table. (Columns A to T if that helps)

Anyone able to help?

Ta muchly

8 Replies
It highlights the whole row because you selected cell.ENTIREROW.Interior…
If you know it is columns A:T then you could use
range("$a$" & cell.row & ":$T$" & cell.row).interior.colorindex = 6

as for the rows only being this month without seeing the book my thought is there may be a 'break' in data between the months causing your .End(xlup) to only select to that point. If you want it to go all the way up to row 2 then just explicitly set that.

That all said, this all seems like a simple conditional formatting rule. Have you tried that?

@mtarler 

Thanks, that seems to have at least get it highlighting just the table.

The are no breaks in the data, other than they are not consecutive.

Quick screen shot of the data:
Screenshot 2020-04-06 at 18.12.17.png

Conditional formatting won't work as it is a new spreadsheet that is generated every week and has to be altered to produce a report.

looks like you are from Europe with that day/month/year format. Is there any chance the comparison is not treating it as a date value but a text value instead?

@mtarler 

That is a good point, but to be honest i haven't a clue how to resolve it.

@TattyJJ  in VBA editor there is an "Immediate Window" that I love to test and try things.  If it isn't already up you can find it under the View tab or hit Ctrl-G.

In the window type something like:  Print isdate(range("e20").value)

BTW I did some testing that way and it appears that could be the problem and you could solve the problem by using cdate(cell.value)

@mtarler 

This has got me quite stumped! So by changing TDateM = Date to TDateM = Date + 12 it still works fine until it gets to a different month. If it was some sort of confusion between date formats this should have caused it to trip up?

Print isdate(range("e20").value) comes back as True for all the cells i tried in column E

@mtarler 

GOT IT!!!

By converting all the dates in column E to number format, then using CLng(Date) to do the comparison with all the dates as integers, then turning them back into dates.

Seems a bit long winded, but it does the job...

Thanks for your help!