Various Microsoft Excel Questions Regarding auto exporting data from one tab/cell to another

Copper Contributor

Hey everyone! I'm pretty new to this community and don't know all that much about Microsoft Excel in the first place, but myself and several others from an online forum have been working on a sort of spreadsheet based forum game in our free time and while it's gone great so far, we'd like to find ways to make the game require much less manual input and to draw values and text from specific cells on one tab to another. While we understand how to do basic formulas and formatting, our current understanding of Excel doesn't far surpass that. 

I'm not aware of the specific technical language used, so I've attached several pictures that should help make up for my lack of understanding though I'll try to describe the best that I can. 

In the first screenshot, you can see our "Main" tab. The important part of the photo here is the player columns. Each player has certain "statesmen" that are in play in the game that are named underneath the player name. There are well over 2500 statesmen in the game currently, so updating these statesmen as they are drafted can be quite a bit of work. The second screenshot is what the tab should look like with statesmen updated. 

In the third screenshot and fourth, you can see our "Statesmen" tab. The important part of this tab is the statesmen names, No. Column, and the Vote Power column. What we have done so far in the game is assign each player a number and assign each statesmen a player number as they are drafted. What I'm curious of here is if there is a way to use a formula or something to automatically update the "main" tab with statesmen names and vote power so that way it is not necessary to update it each and every time a new statesmen is added to a player faction. Perhaps there is some way that by adding the player number on the statesman tab it copy-pastes the statesman name and voting power in the original tab descending downwards? I'm not sure how to create a formula that can do any of the following: 
1. Copy-Paste text
2. Put this text in a descending order without overwriting
3. Pull only new statesmen from a players faction without doing the old ones again

In screenshots 5, you can see our "legislative" tab. What I'm curious of here is whether or not there is a way to automatically pull a statesmen vote power from the statesman tab to the "Senator" section of this tab by typing their name or something similar. In this screenshot I filled out an example with James Hillhouse, who has 4 vote power. 

Additionally, we use dice rolls to determine the outcome of several events, elections, etc. Is there a way to not only randomly generate numbers within a certain parameter (Like RANDBETWEEN) and export them to a different tab at click or something similar so that players are aware of the outcome of each dice roll and it does not seem fabricated in any way? We use a d6, d20, and d100 if that matters. 

1 Reply

Hello @CalebLPerry ,

I keep coming back to this question and see that nobody has answered it yet, so I want to tell you why.

It's just too much.

It's a wall of text with extra clicks for seeing the pictures, which could be shown inline instead, and it seems to be a project of major proportions. 

You may get better response if you break it down into several smaller questions that each tackle their own topic.