SOLVED

Using IF(AND) inside TEXTJOIN array -- why is this not working??

Copper Contributor

Hi there! I'm trying to filter and show selected results from a table on another sheet, based on 3 parameters (something that is insanely easy on googledocs with the filter() function, which doesn't seem to be available with my version of Excel). I am using the TEXTJOIN function, which works when I use a single condition, but when I try to nest IF statements or use IF(AND), it doesn't work! Any idea why? Is it not capable of calculating based on several parameters? 

Here's my formula: 

=TEXTJOIN(" ,",TRUE,IF(AND(Records!D$6:D$6000=$C$15,Records!I$6:I$6000=K$3,Records!B$6:B$6000=J$3),Records!$C$6:$C$6000,""))

I have confirmed that it works with each of the AND conditions separately, but it gives the null value when I use them together. I've spent hours on this simple problem and want to be done with it! I'd appreciate any advice.

Many thanks!

4 Replies

@tashaflies 

Using AND() you try to find values which at the same time are equal to $C$15, K$3, J$3. Obviously you have no such. Perhaps you mean OR condition?

best response confirmed by tashaflies (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@tashaflies

AND returns a single TRUE or FALSE value, not an array. Try

=TEXTJOIN(" ,",TRUE,IF((Records!D$6:D$6000=$C$15)*(Records!I$6:I$6000=K$3)*(Records!B$6:B$6000=J$3),Records!$C$6:$C$6000,""))

Confirm the formula with Ctrl+Shift+Enter to turn it into an array formula, otherwise it won't work as intended.

@Hans Vogelaar AH THANK YOU! This works. I'm endlessly grateful. 

@Sergei Baklan Of course, that makes sense. But I do need all 3 conditions to be true, so I don't think OR() would work. But the other solution offered below works, hallelujah! Thank you!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by tashaflies (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@tashaflies

AND returns a single TRUE or FALSE value, not an array. Try

=TEXTJOIN(" ,",TRUE,IF((Records!D$6:D$6000=$C$15)*(Records!I$6:I$6000=K$3)*(Records!B$6:B$6000=J$3),Records!$C$6:$C$6000,""))

Confirm the formula with Ctrl+Shift+Enter to turn it into an array formula, otherwise it won't work as intended.

View solution in original post