SOLVED

Using Find

Copper Contributor

Device: PC/Windows 10

Microsoft Office Home and Business 2013

Excel Product ID: 00196-20943-85146-AA714

Good Morning.  I’m looking for an easy way to use ‘Find’ to search for text in the middle of a string?  For instance, say there is a column in my spread sheet of organization members that is headed ‘Favorite Subjects in College’.  I want to find all rows with ‘History’ in the answer.  ‘History’ may or may not be the first subject listed.  Can I search for something like ‘**history**’ where asterisks are wild cards?  Thanks, Joel

3 Replies

@JoelBauer 

Find

To find something, press Ctrl+F,

or go to Home > Editing > Find & Select > Find.

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote any reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

best response confirmed by JoelBauer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JoelBauer 

By default, Excel will search for part of cell contents, so you can simply enter history in the Find what box. To check, click Options >> in the Find dialog and make sure that the check box Match entire cell contents is clear (not ticked).

S0624.png

Thanks Hans. Your reply lead me to the right solution.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JoelBauer (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@JoelBauer 

By default, Excel will search for part of cell contents, so you can simply enter history in the Find what box. To check, click Options >> in the Find dialog and make sure that the check box Match entire cell contents is clear (not ticked).

S0624.png

View solution in original post