Using Countif across multiple sheets with a different range

Copper Contributor

Okay so I want to automatically show the attendance figure for a class per week & I want the attendance to automatically update. I have 4 sheets for 4, 4 week periods. I have been able to update the attendance figures each week fairly easily on sheet 1 through the basic Countif function. I am now struggling with the 2nd sheet as it won't allow me to count the 'p' for present in sheet 1 & the first few cells in sheet 2 together to get a value.

So cell P2 is at 87.5% for total attendance across 4 weeks. Now on sheet 2, when week 5 ends I want to show week the percentage attendance up until that point. Also "p" is my value for counting. I have tried using:
=COUNTIFS('Sheet1'!$E2:$02,"p",'Sheet2'!$E2:$F5,"p")
However this is not counting the first sheet & only the sheet I am on currently.

3 Replies

@MichaelMcIY 

Shouldn't it be

=COUNTIF('Sheet1'!$E2:$02,"p")+COUNTIF('Sheet2'!$E2:$F5,"p")

Please note that $02 must be a typo.

Thanks for the help, yes that countif function worked. Just a follow up if possible. It is working in terms of counting correctly. However, when I am changing it to percentage it is giving me 900% rather than 90%. So I have 9/10 days attendance & dividing across the whole sum by the amount of possible days is still giving me figures far outweighing the 90%.

@MichaelMcIY 

Could you attach a small sample workbook demonstrating the problem?