Using a named range in an "IF" statement

Copper Contributor

I saw the suggested IF statement at https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/excel/if-statement-to-display-results-of-a-named-range/m-p/10.... I think I goofed up somewhere because it returned a VALUE? statement.

I'm trying to set up Excel to serve as the source for a Word mail merge. In column "B" are the letters A through F. In column "M" I have several named ranges - AFam, BFam, etc. These ranges refer to a two row one column phrase.

What I'm trying to achieve is when column "B" has an A, then the corresponding range will be inserted. Once the corresponding phrase is chosen, I want Word to complete the merge for a mailing we'll be doing. While the first go around has only 36 names, the next go around will have over 250.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

1 Reply

@ParishAdmin 

A couple of thoughts here.

First, it always helps the helpers on this forum if those of you with questions can post a copy (without personal or confidential info) of the spreadsheet in question.

Second, in the absence of such a sample file, given the subject matter, I think you might be well served by looking to accomplish your "If...Then..." conditional in Word itself, rather than in Excel. You can search the help text for Word using a phrase like "Conditional Mail Merge" and get some step by step examples. [I did this recently, so know it works.]

It's been literally a couple of decades since I did something comparable in my job, and that was for around a thousand employees. It's a challenge, but really fun when you make it work.

Come back with a sample of your file(s) if you still need further help. But DO check out Word's abilities to do conditional merges in conjunction with Excel as the data source.