SOLVED

Using a function with no rounding of numbers

Copper Contributor

Hello,

As a teacher, I'm trying to get some semester grades calculated. How do I use functions like QUOTIENT, PRODUCT, SUM and have results that actually give values up to decimals? 

If I select "Text", I only see the formula. If I change the decimal places to 2, I only see a rounded number with ".00" afterward. 

For example, I would like to see (=QUOTIENT(1,3)) as 0.33. Not "0" or "0.00"

Any advice?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by TLinde (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @TLinde 

Note that QUOTIENT returns the integer portion of a division. 

If you want to divide numeric values, you should use the "/" operator as there no DIVIDE function in Excel and note that QUOTIENT doesn't return a remainder part of the value.

That is reason you are not getting the value as 0.33 while using QUOTIENT.

Snag_147f2e61.png

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer & like it to help the other members find it more

@TLinde 

The QUOTIENT function divides the first parameter by the second, then returns an integer result—rounded down.

In your problem, you are looking at 1/3 Since the numerator is less than the denominator, you will always get 0 from the QUOTIENT function.

It is working exactly as Microsoft programmed it.

If you would like to get the result, then use a formula like either of:
=1/3
=ROUND(1/3,2)

I would be happy to know if I could help.

Nikolino

I know I don't know anything (Socrates)

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Thank you all! That makes a lot of sense and it worked!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by TLinde (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @TLinde 

Note that QUOTIENT returns the integer portion of a division. 

If you want to divide numeric values, you should use the "/" operator as there no DIVIDE function in Excel and note that QUOTIENT doesn't return a remainder part of the value.

That is reason you are not getting the value as 0.33 while using QUOTIENT.

Snag_147f2e61.png

Regards, Faraz Shaikh | MCT, MIE, MOS Master, Excel Expert

If you find the above solution resolved your query don't forget mark as Official/Best Answer & like it to help the other members find it more

View solution in original post