SOLVED

UserForms are getting strange, please help.

Brass Contributor

This must be the weirdest phenomenon I've ever faced.

Normally in Userform.ListBox.Font.Italic should works just like a range.

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
'this would works as expected
UserForm1.ListBox1.RowSource = "Sheet1!A1:A3"
UserForm1.ListBox1.Font.Italic = True
UserForm1.ListBox1.Font.Italic = False
End Sub

But see these two samples below.

'this will NOT works! Just because i assigned a range variable. HOW STRANGE
'Notice the list is stil italic even if i set .Italic = False
Dim test_rng As Range

Set test_rng = [b5]

UserForm2.ListBox1.RowSource = "Sheet1!A1:A3"
UserForm2.ListBox1.Font.Italic = True
UserForm2.ListBox1.Font.Italic = False

'MsgBox UserForm2.ListBox1.Font.Italic 'you can uncomment this line to check .Italic property, it's still TRUE

End Sub
'this will NOT works same! Because i assigned wildcard characters combined with textbox value to a variable. GOSH STRANGE.
Dim test_str As String

test_str = UserForm3.TextBox1.Value & "*"
UserForm3.ListBox1.RowSource = "Sheet1!A1:A3"
UserForm3.ListBox1.Font.Italic = True
UserForm3.ListBox1.Font.Italic = False

'MsgBox UserForm3.ListBox1.Font.Italic 'you can uncomment this line to check .Italic property, it's still TRUE
End Sub

The codes self-explained. 

It just doesn't make any sense! how could possibly assign a range variable or wildcard+textbox value affects the italic property of listbox.

And the most weird thing is to fix this, just assign italic property in other module.

Call fixed
------------------
Sub fixed()
UserForm3.ListBox1.Font.Italic = False
End Sub

I have uploaded a sample file to clarify the issue.

Please leave any thoughts below ... 

5 Replies

@PowerDekor 

I cannot reproduce the problem. Even if I don't call fixed, the listbox font is not italic when I show UserForm2 and UserForm3.

I'm using Excel in Office 2021 on Windows 11. Which version of Office and which operating system do you use?

What!
i have 3 devices, Windows 10 with Office 2016, Windows 10 with Office 2021, Windows 7 with Office 2010. All of them behaves the same issue ....

here's a footage....

@PowerDekor 

Oh, I don't doubt your experience at all. I've seen more than enough weird behavior...

best response confirmed by PowerDekor (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Gosh, I finally figured it out.
Turns out it all comes from the 64-bit Office. I tried to uninstall my office then reinstall 32-bit and it works PERFECTLY. >_<
I mean, come on Microsoft. It's 2022, I've been deploying 64-bit office to my colleague since 2016. And I don't regret it at all cause 64bit is sensible faster than 32bit to my workflow.
Guess the best workaround would be Call .font. Italic = false at others module. Thanks for your response ~

@PowerDekor  that is odd behavior indeed.  Another option that seems to work is to perform the italic operation BEFORE the problem causing actions:

'this will NOT works! Just because i assigned a range variable. HOW STRANGE
Dim test_rng As Range

UserForm2.ListBox1.RowSource = "Sheet1!A1:A3"
UserForm2.ListBox1.Font.Italic = True
UserForm2.ListBox1.Font.Italic = False

Set test_rng = [b5]

'MsgBox UserForm2.ListBox1.Font.Italic 'you can uncomment this line to check .Italic property, it's still TRUE

Call fixed 'And this would just fixed? by assign the property in other module? >_<
End Sub

notice I moved those 3 lines ABOVE the Set statement and it seems to work fine here and in the other case too

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by PowerDekor (Brass Contributor)
Solution
Gosh, I finally figured it out.
Turns out it all comes from the 64-bit Office. I tried to uninstall my office then reinstall 32-bit and it works PERFECTLY. >_<
I mean, come on Microsoft. It's 2022, I've been deploying 64-bit office to my colleague since 2016. And I don't regret it at all cause 64bit is sensible faster than 32bit to my workflow.
Guess the best workaround would be Call .font. Italic = false at others module. Thanks for your response ~

View solution in original post