SOLVED

Updating cell values from one cell based on another cell's data

Brass Contributor

Hello.  I would like Excel enter data from one cell into another cell, based on another cell's entry.  For example, I have a date in column A, in column B, there will either be a date entered, or n/a.  If column B is n/a, then I would like Excel to take the date in column A and enter it into column C.  If column B is a date, then I want to enter data into Column C myself.  Is this possible?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by Sue_G (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Sue_G   try something like 

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),"enter date",A1)

when you click on C1 to "enter date" as instructed it will overwrite the formula there.

That said, not the best practice.

I would recommend making D1

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),C1,A1)

and then use custom formatting to highlight cells in col C that need a date entered

highlight col C and go to custom formatting -> custom formula and enter: =ISNUMBER(B1)

you may also want to lock or maybe gray col D so you/others don't overwrite the formula there.

@mtarler 

Thank you so much...this is perfect.  I appreciate your suggestions as well...I will definitely use them!

great, so glad to help.  feel free to like and mark best response to 'close' the thread.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Sue_G (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Sue_G   try something like 

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),"enter date",A1)

when you click on C1 to "enter date" as instructed it will overwrite the formula there.

That said, not the best practice.

I would recommend making D1

=IF(ISNUMBER(B1),C1,A1)

and then use custom formatting to highlight cells in col C that need a date entered

highlight col C and go to custom formatting -> custom formula and enter: =ISNUMBER(B1)

you may also want to lock or maybe gray col D so you/others don't overwrite the formula there.

View solution in original post