Update Links Window

Copper Contributor

I keep getting the yellow "Update External Links" bar at the top of my spreadsheet but I have searched in the cells using the Find command window under the "Formulas" option for any external links. I used for the search criteria keywords that are in the reference given by the "Update Values" window after clicking on "Update" in the yellow bar. But there are none. I have also searched in the hidden sheets. There are none. But I keep getting "Update" in the top yellow bar. I do have links but to a single spreadsheet that is present in the same workbook I am working in. How do I get rid of the "Update" in the top yellow bar? or what other methods are available to search for external links?

12 Replies

@Lnjec Try the tool you'll find in the attached link.

https://manville.org.uk/software/findlink.htm 

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thank you for helping me. I have installed the add-in it now appears at the top left of the screen at the File command as "Find Links" with a magnifying glass. It started to work and gave me a very long list of cells that are all under a single column when I went there there were no links in those cells. But now when I click on the "Find Links" I get the following message.

Lnjec_0-1592217911790.png

This is also happening on another spreadsheet that I tried it on where I have the same problem with unidentified external links. But this time I go straight to receiving the above message without getting a list of cells that I got when I first ran "Find Links" on the previous spreadsheet.

@Lnjec Difficult to diagnose and/or duplicate the error without the file. I'm not a heavy user of the tool myself, but it has been recommended in this forum many times. Perhaps you can contact the authors directly from their web-site.

@Riny_van_Eekelen Thanks. I'm the author, can I send you the file?

@Lnjec I meant that you could perhaps contact the author of the tool, via their web-site. But feel free to send me the file. I can have a try.

Hi @Riny_van_Eekelen, I have attached a file with the problem. There is also another problem with this file which is a circular formula that I can not find.

@Lnjec 

Circular references are shown at the left of the status bar

image.png

Hi @Sergei Baklan Thank you I did not know the circular formulas cells were identified at the bottom of the spreadsheet, thanks.

@Lnjec 

As for the external link - it is in cell Wk06!AE5 in data validation.

image.png

and in other cells down (AE9, etc.). In attached file data validation is erased for this column.

@Sergei Baklan Thank you. I just selected the whole sheet and cleared all validations. Is it possible with the Excel available features to be able to find each cell individually with external Validation links?

@Lnjec 

Nope, that's third-party tools like FindLink. I've seen you tried it, don't know why it didn't help. In general it works:

image.png

@Sergei Baklan Maybe FindLink didn't work because I am working on Excel via VPN.