Unwanted default dark cell borders - new sheet or clearing all formatting

Copper Contributor

I have a bunch of Excel files that were created with 97-2003 as an xls. When a new sheet is added all cells have black borders. Also if the cell formatting is cleared, using Editing >> Clear >> Clear All, the cell borders are black.

I have also change to an xlsx but I still get the black borders. 

There is no scripting in the workbook.

I think this has something to do with default cell formatting but have yet to find an existing solution on the web.

Using Office 365.

When creating a new sheet

dfugate_0-1624557702632.png

When clearing any existing formatting

dfugate_1-1624557763674.png

In this example all cells were selected and the borders were set to "no borders". Then a range was selected and the formatting was cleared, now black borders show.

dfugate_2-1624557931526.png

Any ideas on how to get the formatting back to factory defaults so when a sheet is added or a cell formatting is cleared it reverts to the Excel default and not these black borders?

3 Replies

@dfugate 

Quit Excel.

In File Explorer (assuming you're on Windows), enter

%appdata%\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

in the address bar and press Enter. If you see Excel templates named Book.xltx and/or Sheet.xltx in the XLSTART folder, delete them or move them out of this folder.

Start Excel again and see if the problem is gone.

@Hans Vogelaar 

The XLSTART folder was empty.
I had three others, using different machines, try the workbook and they got the same results.

If I open a new workbook and copy a range of blank cells then paste them in to the older work book I get the black borders.

There must be settings in the workbook that define the default formatting but I have not found where that is.

There are multiple workbooks that have this same issue. All appear to have first been created from 1999-2003. Converting to xlsx does not fix the issue.

This the the new workbook

dfugate_0-1625756624515.png

Here is the result of pasting into the old workbook.

dfugate_1-1625756703622.png

@dfugate 

Strange...

You can attach one of the old workbooks that demonstrates the problem if you wish; you can remove all data.