Unusual chart issue

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I'm trying to create a standard scatterplot.  The data consists of scores (x, col E: 0-100) on a test, followed by grades (y, col I: 0-100) in a class. The scatterplot was created by selecting data for series X and series Y.   The correct columns are selected (fig 1, 3).  However, the scatterplot shows unrelated data, including a large number of X values greater than 100 (I did a quick Countif( ) to make sure there were none).  Further, when individual points are selected, they show the wrong datapoints (fig 2)Fig 1.pngFig 2.pngChecking the data selection confirms that the correct columns are selected (fig 3). 
Fig 3.png

Any ideas?

2 Replies

UPDATES:

* Considered that the .csv filetype might be responsible.  Resaved the data as .xlsx filetype; no change.

* Plotted additional column pairs:  L1:L170 vs C1:C170, L1:L170 vs D1:D170.  Both graphs appeared to be correct and spot-check of data points passed.

* Plotted additional column pair: I1:I170 vs F1:F170.    Got *identical graph* (seen via overlay) to I1:I170 vs E1:E170, shown above in original post.  Both graphs appear to be plotting I1:I170 vs the row number rather than vs the column value.

RESOLVED: Two of the cells in row E were blank ... but contained a " " space character. Once those were deleted so that the cell was truly empty, the graph fixed itself.