Unstacking data in excel for mail merge prep

Copper Contributor

Good morning,  

I am preparing a file for an email merge with has many items and links to the items that need to be merged into the email.

Our CRM exports an excel file that lists each gift (we are a non profit) as a separate row item.  I would like to transpose the two columns that have the item (in this case a thank you letter) and the link to the letter from each row and paste the data in to the same row.

Any suggestions on where to start?

2 Replies

@DavidFTCS 

Perhaps you can use the free add-in Mail Merge 'Many-to-One' 

@DavidFTCS  If I'm understanding correctly your question isn't about the mail merge itself but about moving data?  I recommend copy 1 column to an empty column (or insert a col).  Then copy the other col onto the 1st column and lastly copy the temporary column back onto the 2nd col.  I am saying 'copy' because that will replace the data in each place and not move pre-existing links to those locations (which is what I assuming you are trying to avoid).  BUT please provide a sample sheet with more info if not.

Lastly, i highly recommend this webinar about creating a mail-merge system straight from Excel.  It is very flexible and useful...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URF3ikW0Svc