SOLVED

Unprotect workbook

Copper Contributor

I have a workbook that was sent to me for my use but came password protected as it has sensitive information that was being sent by email. I have the password and have renamed and resaved the file but every time I open it, I again have to enter the password. When I go to "Protect Workbook" there is no option to unprotect and its the same if I look under Review in the ribbon. How can I get this file to stay unlocked?

7 Replies

@jamieintheATX 

Password protection sits in "Save as". There you have "Options..." and you can choose to have no password.

best response confirmed by jamieintheATX (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Riny_van_Eekelen Brilliant. That worked. Thank you so much!

hi  @Riny_van_Eekelen - where is the unprotect option in which tab - unable to find it

@Balaji_B2019 The above thread deals with removing or changing a password to open a workbook. There is no button for it. As mentioned above, it is part of the "Save as" process. But allow me to expand my previous response. On a Mac: File, Save as, Options. On Windows: File, Save as, More options, Tools, General options.

@Riny_van_Eekelen 

In my save as i don't have more options even though i am on windows. I couldn't find it under review or info as well.

@Aragan29 What Excel version are you on? Please upload a screen shot of what you see when you select File, Save As....  

I had a similar problem, and your instructions were very helpful - path for me (Windows 10) was Save as / More Options / tools / General Options with the menus all over the place, some at the top of the window, some at the bottom. Then I had to figure out to leave the password field blank! Anyway - Big Help - Thank you!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by jamieintheATX (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@Riny_van_Eekelen Brilliant. That worked. Thank you so much!

View solution in original post