UNIQUE, FILTER function no more available

Copper Contributor

Since today mid afternoon (21/02/2020) , all the new dynamic array function such as UNIQUE and FILTER suddenly desappear from my desktop Excel (still available for my Excel On Line). I am a Office 365 user and I didn't see an update coming.

Any idea why ?

Thank you

10 Replies

@Fabien_M 

Perhaps channel changes, especially if you apply it by registry key. What do you see here?

image.png

@Sergei Baklan are those function only for Office Insider or are they now deployed for every Office 365 users ?

@Fabien_M 

Have no access to monthly channel (if I translated correctly) right now, will check tomorrow. Functions shall be available for this channel.

In any case, it's better to send a frown from File->Feedback.

@Sergei Baklan Thank you. You've translated right :)

This make me think about a language problem so I switch my Excel to English and they are available in English !! I switched back to french and they are there again.

Weird problem

Thank you anyways !

@Fabien_M 

The exact same thing happened to me.  This afternoon, 2/21/2020, I was working on my spreadsheet using the new dynamic arrays.  I closed the files to take a short break.  When I reopened the files, the dynamic arrays were gone.  Formulas such as =UNIQUE(  were replaced with =_xlfn.UNIQUE(.  It is like my version of Excel 365 was taken back in time to a period before the functions were available.  I have version 2001 (build 12430.20288).  I noticed on the Office 365 website it mentions the latest version is 2001 (build 12430.20184) and was released on 2/19/2020.  I did not notice an update.  I reinstalled Office 365 but no change.

@steve37777 

Fixed the problem.  I saw an earlier post about changing languages.  I went to Options -> Language and saw that it was set to "Match Microsoft Windows" and I changed it to "English."  And the new functions are back.

@steve37777 

one year later (now 21st May 2021) and I suddenly have the same problem.  I have been using "unique" and "filter" in formulas for quite sometime and this morning, I open one workbook and I get the same message as you "(_xlfn.UNIQUE(_xlfn._xlws.FILTER("...

I've tried making every change in the book to the language settings (I'm on a Mac working in France but with UK English as my setting) and nothing works now.  I did not change anything on the settings since stopping work last night and rebooting this morning.  I was on the Excel Beta Channel but have gone back down to the "current" channel.  All to no avail. 

Anyone have any ideas?

@RvL_richy 

No ideas. If you change no one setting, reboot and channel was changed - looks very strange. Why don't you to shift on previous channel back?

Hey Sergei,

I am not sure to fully understand what you have written.

You write: "No ideas. If you change no one setting, reboot and channel was changed - looks very strange."

Can I interpret that you too have no idea how this could happen? You've understood what I've said and it all sounds very strange to you? You've noted that I did not change anything but after rebooting, Excel stopped working as before?

Do I also understand that you propose I "change channels" - that I go back to the "standard" channel?

If I've understood what you were asking / proposing, yes you are right. Yesterday evening, everything was fine with Excel. This morning there were a number of problems. I also thought it might be linked to a problem with the "beta" channel and went back to "standard" but that did not help.

NB: I have received a message from someone else telling me, MS may be having difficulties with my account and that I should log out and back in to see if that helps. I will try that once I finish my workday today.

Thanks for your input. I do think the problem must be linked to the "channels" because the Unique and Filter fonctions are not available everywhere and with every system. Given the fact that I have a Mac, these fonctions are perhaps still "in testing" on this platform.