SOLVED

Unexpected error while trying to use DATEDIF

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I am trying to use the DATEDIF function but I get an unexpected error. I've read many online examples and I'm doing everything correctly.

I type "=DATEDIF(", click on the cell with the first date (thus now appearing "=DATEDIF(H6") press "," (now appearing "=DATEDIF(H6,") but when I click the second cell to insert the final date, the error seen in the attached picture appears!

Even if I copy/paste those online examples this error always pops up.

I'm using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016.

What's happening?

Thanks!

6 Replies
best response confirmed by RuiPe1050 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@RuiPe1050 

Perhaps you shall use semicolons instead of commas as delimiter =DATEDIF(H6; ...

@RuiPe1050 

Do you use comma as decimal separator? If so, you should use semi-colon ; to separate the arguments of a function. For example:

=DATEDIF(H6;J6;"m")

@Hans VogelaarNo, I use "." for decimal separator but the ";" worked...

Every examples I've seen, including Excel 2016 Help use "," with this function.

Rui

@Sergei BaklanThe ";" worked... but all the examples I've seen, including Excel 2016 Help, use "," with this function and I'm not using "," as decimal separator.

Thanks!

Rui

@RuiPe1050 

Perhaps you have specified ; as list separator in the Region control panel in Windows, or else in Excel in File > Options > Advanced > Editing Options

@RuiPe1050 

You may change locale settings as @Hans Vogelaar suggested and/or use this tool https://en.excel-translator.de/translator/ to translate Excel formulas

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by RuiPe1050 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@RuiPe1050 

Perhaps you shall use semicolons instead of commas as delimiter =DATEDIF(H6; ...

View solution in original post