SOLVED

Unable to see new Personal Macros in new workbook

Copper Contributor

I have a coworker who is having a problem with their personal workbook.  I tried it on my computer and I'm having the same problem.  So, I do not believe it is specific to their computer. 

I go through the process of creating a macro and saving to my personal workbook.  I exit Excel and go back in and create a new workbook.  When I click on Macros, I would expect to see a list of my macros in my personal workbook, but it does not show up.  I have to open my "PERSONAL" workbook that contains my macros to use in my other spreadsheet.  It didn't always work this way.  How can I configure so my personal macros are available whenever I open ANY workbook?

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Paul_R1020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Perhaps your personal workbook is not opening when you open/create another workbook.

here are the steps you need to make sure are done, in order for your macros to be visible.

1- First place your macros in a file.
2- make sure that your Macros are not "Private Sub"
3- once you placed your macros in the file, then under the view tab click "Hide" ( you do this becuase when your personal workbook opens, it does not the workbook itself)
4- Now, you need to save the workbook with the xlsb or xlsm format and place it in the following start up directory C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
Replace the YourUsername to your login account name.
5- now you are all set. when you open any workbook, whether new or an existing other workbook, the personal workbook opens but you will not see it, as it is hidden, but all your macros will be showing in the macro section.

Hope this helps.

Yes, this worked.  The key was to check if the PERSONAL file already existed in that directory and move or delete it.  Then, open the macro file and hide it.  Then save the file to that folder.  It took a couple tries to get the sequence correct, but it then worked as I hoped.  This made my day.  Thanks again!

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Paul_R1020 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Perhaps your personal workbook is not opening when you open/create another workbook.

here are the steps you need to make sure are done, in order for your macros to be visible.

1- First place your macros in a file.
2- make sure that your Macros are not "Private Sub"
3- once you placed your macros in the file, then under the view tab click "Hide" ( you do this becuase when your personal workbook opens, it does not the workbook itself)
4- Now, you need to save the workbook with the xlsb or xlsm format and place it in the following start up directory C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART
Replace the YourUsername to your login account name.
5- now you are all set. when you open any workbook, whether new or an existing other workbook, the personal workbook opens but you will not see it, as it is hidden, but all your macros will be showing in the macro section.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post