Since last week, I am no longer able to open .xls files that have protected sheets or workbook structure. Before that everything was working well. I can open those excel files on other computers with the same version of excel. Excel 2016 Version 1901 (build 11231.20130)
I have try the following things:
- quick Repair
- Online Repair
- Ignore other application that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)
- removed all add-ins and Com
- enable Macro
- remove the 3 check box of the Protected View screen
- Remove the file block settings
- Uninstall office completely from the computer with the Microsoft fix-it program and did a fresh re-install
- Deleted the user profile from the computer and even try with a different user.
- can open other .xls file that does not contain protect functionality in it.
- I tried to open the file from the network or locally on my computer.
When I open the problematic workbook, it freeze completely with CPU at 30% and memory at 3.2 gig and go up to 3.6 gig before closing. I have 16 gig of ram on my computer. If I open Excel then I open the file, I get a grey background with the menu and formula bar. the I click in the grey area and I get a message saying "Not enough system resources to display completely"