Unable to fetch data from web in excel

Copper Contributor

Hello Experts. I am using windows 10 and my subscription is  for Office Home & Student 2019.

In any new excel file if I try to get data in my excel file from any website I get error as shown in attached screenshot. If I open a file that is already linked to website then also it won't fetch data from web and keep showing "contacting the server for information. Press Esc to cancel." Until I press ESC Excel files remains stuck.

Microsoft executives have tried uninstalling it completely and reinstalling Office. What should I do? Please help.  

6 Replies
I'm guessing but it could be that your URL is too long. MAX 256 characters unfortunately.

When you say Get Data from any website, are you using the Get Data (Power Query) process?

@Wyn Hopkins  It is not working with any url.  I am using the option "from web'' under the DATA tab.

Hi @traderdevd 

I'm guessing now as I don't know the answer, but you could try installing a different we browser and making it your default.  See if that helps. 

@Wyn Hopkins hay the entire data off the web isnt being taken into the excel sheet

HIi@kumard6   would you mind starting another thread explaining your issues with screenshots and links to assist thanks

@kumard6 

I get options data from Fidelity using an export from them. They offer--and I'd be surprised if your brokerage (commodity brokerage?) doesn't offer something similar--either CSV or XLS formatted exports. Then just open the file (or import it) in Excel. No link needed through a URL..