Unable to enter account number correctly on current Spreadsheet document

Copper Contributor

I am attempting to enter this account number (09115111586407) into ANY CELL (since I was unable to insert the number into the specific cell I wanted in my current document for the first time (THIS current document, named 22-0601-0630; all previous spreadsheets completed successfully, monthly since 2019, without this particular account # on them); once unsuccessful after numerous attempts, I attempted to insert this same #, by every other method known, i.e., "Sheet(#s) in the same document; other NEW spreadsheets, . For an unknown reason, the acct # listed above ALWAYS comes through as 9.11511E+12. I HAVE ALSO TRIED USING EVERY choice offered in the [HOME] "Number" (General - TEXT (*which seems to be the format it keeps appearing as*) as well as the "More Number Formats" offered, with no success for any style).  It is imperative I be able to enter this account #, as I have the (Link &) account # entered for each bill I pay monthly and will need this # every month going forward. 

3 Replies

@WHOLEY_GAUCHE 

Either format the cells where you enter the account numbers as Text before entering them, or prefix the account numbers with an apostrophe ' to force Excel to treat them as text.

When I enter a five digit number as text it does it correctly, but when I move to the next cell it reverts to changing 879543 to 8795.43.

@Ron_Meyer 

On Windows:

Select File > Options > Advanced.

Under 'Editing options', clear the check box 'Automatically insert a decimal point'.

Click OK.

On Mac:

Select Excel menu > Preferences > Edit.

Clear the check box 'Display this number of decimal places'.

Close Preferences.