SOLVED

Unable to edit source list in data validation in Excel

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I have a created a drop down list in Excel 2016 and would like to edit the source list. However, when I go the source list under the data validation type and try to move across the list, it puts a cell reference there. Has anyone else had this problem. I may just not know what I am doing as this is the first time I have created a dropdown list in Excel.

Thank you,

Linda

4 Replies
best response confirmed by smo4142 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@smo4142

Hi,

When you go to the Source box in the Data Validation and you want to edit it, you need to switch to the Edit mode.

The default is the Enter mode as the below screenshot:

Enter Mode.png

Just press F2 to switch to the Edit mode so that you can move the cursor without inserting any cell references.

Hope that helps

@Haytham Amairah 

And Boom..there it is! Thank you so much, I don't know that I would have every found that tip anyone. It worked perfectly!

Best regards,

Linda

@Haytham Amairah I can pull up the validation box, and I can put it in edit mode, but not at the same time. What am I doing wrong? I want to be able to change options in the drop down menus. I added pictures to show my problem. 

@Haytham Amairah 

I'm using the F2 key, it looks like it works, I save it, refresh everything and my typo is still in my drop down list, but it has been 'fixed' in the data validation source list.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by smo4142 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@smo4142

Hi,

When you go to the Source box in the Data Validation and you want to edit it, you need to switch to the Edit mode.

The default is the Enter mode as the below screenshot:

Enter Mode.png

Just press F2 to switch to the Edit mode so that you can move the cursor without inserting any cell references.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post