Unable to create relationship between tables

Copper Contributor

Good morning to you all,

I have created a workbook with a few sheets containing sales data with the aim of combining results from our previous quickbooks numbers to our current SAP numbers using the Vlookup function to match customers with their sales amounts.

In the first iteration I was able to create relationships and use the function to match everything up and it worked fine. However, I later discovered an error in my SAP query that omitted credits, cancelled invoices and other items which gave me incorrect results.

After getting the right numbers I then created a new workbook with new tables and imported all of the data that needs to be combined.

However, when I try to create the new relationships the only tables available to me in the Relationship building dialog are those from my previous workbook. I went back to the other workbook and deleted the old relationships but that didn't work. I then deleted the old workbook but all of the old tables are still listed and the new ones are still not there.

I am at my wit's end trying to figure out what the problem may be. Does anyone have an idea why those artifacts are still there while the new tables are not? If more information is needed let me know.

Thanks in advance, Bill

4 Replies
Are you using Power Query to load your data? Have you deleted the source in Power Query and added the new source?

Thanks for the reply,

No, I'm not using Power Query. I'm not familiar with that process.

Basically I have gone back and started everything from scratch and so far I've been successful in linking the first table so I'm hopeful I can complete the job with no more problems.

OK I see. "You" are not working with Power Query but when you load data into Excel, then "Excel" is using Power Query. But if you don't know how to use it to manipulate how your data is loaded, starting from scratch will of course also work.

Good luck

Thanks for the information. I'm afraid that my Excel skills must be outdated but at this stage of my life it's probably not worth the effort to bring them up to date. I think I'm having an "OK, Boomer" moment.