Type an item number and return description in cell next to it

Copper Contributor
I have a list of about 40 item numbers with descriptions. How can I just type the item number in one cell/column and then it automatically fill in the description in the cell/column next to it so i don't have to keep typing the long description of the item number.
2 Replies
Hi @LHerbst, The easiest way to do it is to use the Vlookup formula. Let's say that your item numbers list start from cell A8 to A47 and their descriptions are in cell B8 to B47. In cell D4, on the same sheet, type an item number and in cell D5 type the following formula: =Vlookup(D4,A8:B47,2,FALSE) Tada ! If you need to understand what does this formula, here is an explanation in plain english : Excel ! Can you find me what I've typed in the cell D4 in a table that start at cell A8 and end at cell A47. By the way, the value you should return to me is in the second column of the table and shouldn't be an approximative value. Have fun !
Thank you! That does work. I have to type a log and I was hoping that when I typed the item number in the log it would automatically type the description in the cell next to it an on and on etc etc