Trying to make a chart template be the default chart

MVP

My favorite way to create perfect charts in one keystroke:

1. Create a chart with Alt+F1 and you get a clustered column chart. 

2. Customize that chart to match your preferred chart style.

3. Right-click the chart and Save as Template. Give the template a name and save.

4. With the chart selected, choose Change Chart Type. Navigate to the Templates folder. Right-click your template and choose Set as Default Chart.

5. Click OK to close the dialog.

In the future, you can select your data, press Alt+F1, and all of the settings from step 2 will be applied. It is a big time saver. I've featured this trick on my YouTube channel several times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8uokJztHTY

Except: it was recently broken in Office 365 First Release channel. It still works in Excel 2013 and all past versions. Is this functionality being depracated on purpose? I understand you are moving to a new Ivy charting engine, but it is a great time-saver for people who routinely have to create the same type of charts.

Thanks

Microsoft Excel Tutorial - Technique to create the perfect chart in one click. Welcome to the MrExcel podcast, where we bring you the best tips and tricks for mastering Excel. In this episode, we'll be discussing how to create perfect 1-click charts. If you're tired of spending time customizing ...
1 Reply

@Bill Jelen Thanks Ben. This has changed my life. Each year I write dozens of reports and have been changing the defualt chart every time. Now I can do it with one click saving me a heap of time.