SOLVED

Trying to do a weekly tracker for excel

Copper Contributor

I am trying to find a way to track the meals every 7 days staring on Monday ending on Sunday.

Right now this is my formula if the first was on Monday.

='1'!I5+'2'!I5+'3'!I5+'4'!I5+'5'!I5+'6'!I5+'7'!I5

Is there a better way to do this?

Any help would be greatly apricated.

I attached the file so you can see what I have been doing.

Edit: I am looking to track the number of meals going out.

Example Sheet 1 it would have the monthly numbers in column B, then column D would be the start of the weekly numbers. 

for each day of the month I have 3 meals going out for breakfast, lunch and supper and I am tracking that number with the formula

='1'!I5+'2'!I5+'3'!I5+'4'!I5+'5'!I5+'6'!I5+'7'!I5 going to the end of the month, 

I would like to see if I can break down the number of meals going out by week. 
1 being the first of the month and I5 the cell number and getting the cell number posted on Sheet 1.

7 Replies

@Intodeep 

Track the meals in which context? who ate them? to switch the type of meals round robin? ?? your meals are the predicate what is the subject?

Thank you for pointing out the lacking information I am relative new to this.
I am looking to track the number of meals going out.
Example Sheet 1 it would have the monthly numbers in column B, then column D would be the start of the weekly numbers. 
For each day of the month I have 3 meals going out for breakfast, lunch and supper and I am tracking that number with the formula,

='1'!I5+'2'!I5+'3'!I5+'4'!I5+'5'!I5+'6'!I5+'7'!I5 going to the end of the month, 

I would like to see if I can break down the number of meals going out by week. 
1 being the first of the month and I5 the cell number and getting the cell number posted on Sheet 1.

@Intodeep 

your explanation still lacks context.

You stated:

For each day of the month I have 3 meals going out for breakfast, lunch and supper and I am tracking that number with the formula,

Tracking down what number? number of breakfast, lunch, or dinner? that is the only context mentioned in your narrative.  According to your narrative which only talks about breakfast lunch or dinner, with one of each every day then the answer would be if there were 31 days to the month you are tracking there would be 31 of each breakfast, lunch and dinner since there aren't any other context your narrative is specifying. do you follow?

For example:

you serve 2 apples at breakfast (context here is number of apples)

you serve 1 apple for lunch

you serve peaches for dinner

so the context in tracking numbers is how many fruits and what kind context

so in all in 31 days contextually how many apples did you serve and how many peaches did you serve.  That is the context I am speaking of.

Right now I am just trying to track the number of meals. If serve 400 breakfast for the month, I would like to then brake it down to weekly.
Week 1=100 meals, week 2=100 meals Week 3=100 meals, week 4=100 meals. I tring to find out if there is a better way of doing this then entering
='date' !cell number+'date' !cell number
Then repeating this formula for 7 days.
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Intodeep 

In that context, I would suggest to just gather the data in one transaction table, and use the pivot table to track the numbers in that manner as you go along, then you will start to see a trend and develop an analysis strategy which will dictate which excel functions you're going to be using to formulate equations for a specific analysis of the data set you have gathered.

watch this video to get an idea of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-CFYi52gpc

Thank you for your help, the video was great, and helped me out.

@Intodeep 

I'm glad it forged your goal to a much more specific target.  Have a great weekend.

cheers

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by allyreckerman (Microsoft)
Solution

@Intodeep 

In that context, I would suggest to just gather the data in one transaction table, and use the pivot table to track the numbers in that manner as you go along, then you will start to see a trend and develop an analysis strategy which will dictate which excel functions you're going to be using to formulate equations for a specific analysis of the data set you have gathered.

watch this video to get an idea of what I'm talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-CFYi52gpc

View solution in original post

Download Files: https://people.highline.edu/mgirvin/AllClasses/218_2016/218Excel2016.htm In this video learn about: 1. (00:16) Introduction to Entire Project, including what type of start files we have and what the final report looks like. 2. (03:36) What is Data Modeling? Steps to creating a Data