Trouble debugging a worksheet with TRUE/FALSE indicator and no formula!

Copper Contributor

I am breaking down and rebuilding a worksheet made many years ago.

There are two cells in the worksheet that both have a TRUE/FALSE indicator, however they are just text and not a formula.

I've traced precedents (none), descendants (some), turned on formulas, made sure all text is readable etc and for the life of me I just can't find it!

One appears to be connected to a developer drop-down box, but there's no VBA or anything that's helping me in my detective work.

Where else could I look?

Note - unfortunately due to the nature of the content on the workbook I am unable to upload it here.

2 Replies
Well, since you mention "detective work" (which is probably a pretty good description), about the only thing that comes to mind is generating (Columbo like)(Sherlock Holmes like) various "possible explanations" for the True False Indicators you DO have....assuming you know something about the other fields in that worksheet (since you work for the same organization), try different inferences about which fields, which combinations, might lead to "True" or "False" and see if you can duplicate the results..........When you hit on the right combination, you will have solved the crime.

It sounds like whoever, back in the day, ran the analysis and then did a Copy/PasteSpecial and saved just the values on top of the formulae, so that it couldn't be changed.

And I doubt that uploading the sheet would serve any purpose.... if you, far closer to the scene of the crime, are mystified, so would the rest of us be clueless.

@tsaurus 

You mentioned there were some dependents?   so isn't that what you are looking for?

Also as well as the dependent forrmula there could be conditional formatting rules linked to those cells which don't show up when tracing dependents