triple elim tourney

Copper Contributor

im trying to make a triple elim tourney in excel  the only thing i havent figured out is how to choose a winner from the first matches and move them automatically and move the losers automatically

12 Replies
use a if formula in each cell. if score for first match has player 1 score in A1, and player 2 in A2 then for the where the winner of that match goes do a simple if formula. so lets say winner to go to B1. youll need to add a formula for when to tell if the game is final but once known final. if(a1>a2,a1,a2)

@rangelsammon  how do i choose who won i need for example a5 vs a9 a5 beat a9 i need a5 to go to b7 and the loser b9 to go to b41

@acemadden1975 when do you know someone won? does the winner have to get to 5 points first? if so then in b7 do below formula

if(or(a5=5,a9=5),if(a5>a9,a5,a9),””)

but if you only know the winner when final score revealed then you will need to add a cell you type final score or something so then 

if(a6=“final score”,if(a5>a9,a5,a9),””)

then do same in b7 but change the a5<a9

i just want to pick the winner from each match and have thm move to the correct cell when i enter the formula it just shows an error with the word name in it
provide a link to your shared file or attach

@rangelsammon how do attach it so you can see im still a little new to this

do you have onedrive? you can file > share. or upload to google drive. you should he abke to upload to thsi forum
you shared read only. make it editable.. but i see your error.. there is no score. there is also no cell to enter the score on the same line.
how is it decided who wins. score? are you going to display the score?
when i do share it says anyone can edit it
https://1drv.ms/x/s!AtVDtLKTbYS3i1UAFijrWfK2kHxy?e=lngaMD
winners side
=iferror(if(or(a5=3,a9=3),if(a5>a9,a5,a9),””),””)

same for losers side but = 2 instead of 5

but a5 or a9 will be the score cell. so if thats currently the team name then you will need a new cell to use. maybe for the team on a5 you place the score in b5. same for a9 use b9 for score

=iferror(if(or(b5=3,b9=3),if(b5>b9,a5,a9),””),””)