SOLVED

Transposing Numbers and Text

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I've never come across this before but I cannot find a fix. 

I've extracted a report from a company system. On the company system, the reference shows as 123_ABC. The report is populated into Excel and the reference still shows as 123_ABC. When I copy and paste that report into my own Excel spreadsheet, the reference shows in the cell as ABC_123. However, when I select the cell, the reference shows in the formula bar as 123_ABC. Within this same book, if I now type "1 Week" it's automatically changed to "Week 1". All cells are set to 'General' Formatting and there's no Conditional Formatting within the book.

Any ideas on what's causing this?

3 Replies
Perhaps, an add-in is causing such odd behavior. Try to disable the add-ins.
I don't use add-ins but going through File > Options > Add-Ins I can see that there are none currently activated.

This has also just happened with punctuation - I left myself a note ending in a ? and when I hit enter, the cell displays it at the start of the text....
best response confirmed by Tonste85 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
OK - the strangeness continues (but it hopefully resolved). After a good 45 minutes of searching through options and posting on forums, I went back to an old favourite. I closed Excel and reopened it - it appears to have resolved itself! The entry showing as '?Date Comitted = Date Due' when I saved the file has reverted to 'Date Committed = Date Due?' upon reopening it.

Hopefully won't reoccur. Thanks for your time, Twifoo.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Tonste85 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
OK - the strangeness continues (but it hopefully resolved). After a good 45 minutes of searching through options and posting on forums, I went back to an old favourite. I closed Excel and reopened it - it appears to have resolved itself! The entry showing as '?Date Comitted = Date Due' when I saved the file has reverted to 'Date Committed = Date Due?' upon reopening it.

Hopefully won't reoccur. Thanks for your time, Twifoo.

View solution in original post