SOLVED

Tracking Value Changes in New Sheet

Copper Contributor

I'm using excel for my monthly inventory. 

At the end of each month, I review my invoices and adjust prices in my workbook to reflect new prices.

I would to know if it's possible for all changes in prices as well as the item name connected to the price to be logged in a separate sheet. 

EX:

Screen Shot 2021-12-07 at 9.01.17 PM.png

Lets say cell C3 (Barg's Root Beer Price) is changed to 52.12; an increase of $1.00

I'd like a new sheet to automatically be created and make a log that shows the item in this case: cell A3 (barg's root beer ) and then "+1" or "1" showing the cell increased by a value $1.00

(same goes for if the value is reduced reflected with a "-1" or "(1)".

Thank you for any help!

4 Replies

Hi @aguynamedsean 

at the moment, there is an automatic change protocol only in Excel Online/Excel for the Web. It's not available in the standard Excel versions (but I guess there is a good chance that Microsoft will roll this out also to local M365 versions).

For the time beeing, you would need VBA to detect cell changes.

@Martin_Weiss Thank you for the response. Any chance you know where to find more info on a vba that would accomplish this? 

Best!

best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@aguynamedsean 

it is the "Worksheet.Change" event that you need to use in every worksheet object that you you want to track.

Some general explanation can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/Excel.Worksheet.Change

Just do a Web search on "Worksheet change event" to get examples.

@Martin_Weiss thank you for your assistance.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Hans Vogelaar (MVP)
Solution

@aguynamedsean 

it is the "Worksheet.Change" event that you need to use in every worksheet object that you you want to track.

Some general explanation can be found here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/office/vba/api/Excel.Worksheet.Change

Just do a Web search on "Worksheet change event" to get examples.

View solution in original post